Monday, December 25, 2006

Limerick Limit-trix / Words I Have Only Six

My obsession with grammar… no, amend that to irritation-with-obviously-incorrect grammar (I make inadvertent grammatical errors sometimes, hence that safety-net) gets me into interesting situations many times.

This time turned out to be extra rewarding, since I managed to try my hand at some six-word storytelling as well! Frankly, I wasn’t even aware of this thing called six-word stories. I had some familiarity with Fifty-word Fiction, having written a fifty-word story here and there, but a story in six words? Hmm … I guess there might be more left unsaid than said.

Anyway, long-story-short, I recently spotted what was obviously a grammatical error in a six-word story on a blog page, and left a comment requesting a correction. Gratifyingly enough, a correction was published, but with the complaint that I hadn’t submitted my own obligatory six-word story for having visited that blog page. That, kind of, caught me unawares, as I hadn’t reckoned that a toll-tax applied, but having transgressed in omission, I opted for abundance in compensation, and submitted a limerick instead. The good thing, though, was that every line in that limerick had only six words. Judging by the sampling of six-word stories I had observed on that blog, I guess that counted for a whole five stories in all. Here’s the limerick, for the general consumption of my readers:

Am supposed to submit a story???
Murder mystery, very suspenseful and gory?
Or is romance to be tried?
Cloaks and daggers, their secrets spied?
Perhaps other genres from my armory?


By the way, I did receive an acknowledgement from the author of that particular blog, in reply. Apparently, Mogambo khush huee. I see later that there has been another limerickan comment posted in her blog in similar vein. Here’s my stake in the sand that, Hey, I thought of this first :)


[All posts ©opyright of the author. Syndication rights reserved.]
© Image copyright Niladri Roy

2 comments:

Vidya said...

Complaint? Pah! 'Twas a gentle tease.

'...from the author of that particular blog'. Shroud me in more mystery; I like the sound of it. :]

Obliv[+]ion said...

Now if she had only said "but" 'twixt "'Twas" and "a", how Shakespearean a line 'twould ha' been!