Thursday, December 21, 2006

Publishing in Graffitosphere

A poem came back today from The New Yorker magazine: “We regret that we are unable to use the enclosed material. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider it. Sincerely, The Editors”.

Pretty much standard form-letter. I re-read the poem. It wasn’t half bad. Obviously, I haven’t figured out what works inside the editorial mind, yet.

A Flash-Fiction piece (1000 words or less) that I had submitted to a writers’ workshop came back, reviewed, today as well. From Zoetrope’s The Virtual Studio, the writers’ workshop which now also includes the website created by Francis Ford Coppola for his magazine, Zoetrope: All-Story. Ten out of ten in all categories. Slam f'in dunk! Made my day after all!

Checked the reviewer’s bio. Seventy published works and editor of two magazines. I will take your review to mean something, Chris Bartholomew! Thank you for restoring my confidence in the editorial species.

The Flash Fiction submitted was originally published on this website; and can be found here.

The poem that did not make the cut came from my Primordial Poems blog site, and can be found there.

Any idea why one makes the cut and the other doesn’t? I have none.

[All posts ©opyright of the author. Syndication rights reserved.]
© Image copyright Niladri Roy

No comments: